Wednesday, April 18, 2012

PAY IT FORWARD-caution this may cause some misty eyes!

just at the local grocery store where I am there so often they all know my name... a lady in front of me who was very down on her luck ( thanks Obama) and obviously living on social security... is paying for her  three items... Mac and Cheese, top ramen and some tuna fish...as she swipes her card the check out clerk says " um Mam I am sorry but you only have 3 dollars that is NOT enough to cover your stuff"
as the lady gets red in the face remarks " I just checked it yesterday and I know I had enough , can you please run it again?" I fell the urge to step in...just as I open my mouth the couple behind me scoff and start whispering stuff like maybe she should have double checked and can she please just hurry up!
THEN I GET MAD... I tell the clerk, I will take on the whole $ 10 dollars worth , the clerk says to me " really Dez, its ok"   I calmly and NON emotionally ( those of you who know me can attest when I get upset I RARELY act NON EMOTIONALLY) say I GOT THIS!!!! I paid for the elderly ladies stuff and then spun on my cank-els, to SMIRK and give the look of death to the couple behind ! then look at the elderly lady and say I will help you since others seem to not control their mouths I GOT THIS!!
again I am somehow urged to help her to her car ,  at this point tears are welling inside me , I am trying to keep it together, as I approach the elderly ladies car  she gets outta her wheel chair and says..." you know there are some people who get life and some who think they have it all together, I was not always this way, I started out fruitful , happy and young and just like you young lady, I hope that others come to strangers aid because in the end that is what its all about"

I now have tears running down my cheeks and get to my car , shut the door and think, WE SHOULD ALL BE ABLE TO PAY IT FORWARD some way or another... here i was stressing about if I have enough $$$ to get me to the next payday after all my bills and here was a lady who just needed some help for the meager items she needed to get by!

A SMILE, a HI when passing by, a little bit of joy and PAYING  IT FORWARD any way you can! LESSON LEARNED!!!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! (tears running down my face) That was an AWESOME story!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete